The Sneakers Revolution!
Sneakers have a lot of sport shoe precursors – plimsolls, sand shoes, tennis shoes. Actually, this is one of many names given to those kinds of shoes. For example in USA the used term is “sneakers” and “kicks”, in UK the people use “training shoes”, “trainers”, “joggers” and so on.
Whatever you call them, you’ve probably owned at least a dozen pairs in your life. From their modest origins in the mid-nineteenth century to high-fashion obsession in the present day, sneakers have transformed into iconic footwear. Since their invention they made signature not only in fashion history but in our culture and lifestyle.
A look back on the origins and transformation
For us sport shoes are а must-have pair in the wardrobe but back in time people didn’t have such luxury. The first attempts for a shoe suitable for running were in the early 1800s when spikes were added to the sole of the men's dress shoes of the period. Just a couple of decades later Charles Goodyear developed the vulcanized rubber, which led to the invention of the plimsolls. Although they were a step ahead in terms of comfort, both shoes were made exactly the same for each foot. By the end of the 19th century however different shoes for the right and left foot began to be mass produced and the first modern sport shoes made their appearance. In the years people started to wear sneakers more and more. They were worn by famous athletes on the Olympics, on NBA games. In the 1950s people began to wear sport shoes as fashion statement (especially after seeing James Dean in sneakers in “Rebel without a cause”).
Why we call them sneakers?
Undoubtedly now sneakers are global fashion for practicing sports or just going on a walk. The variety of designs is huge and they are used even for demonstrating high lifestyle. Have you wondered why we call them “sneakers”? This name became popular when Henry McKinney (advertising agent) thinks up the brilliant wordplay “Sneak around with sneakers” which perfectly describes how walking in these shoes feels.
5 tips on wearing sneakers
1) Show off with your shoes! Make sure they will be seen. The perfect length of your pants in this case is right above your ankle bone.
2) Don’t wear socks or don’t let them be seen. You don’t want socks to be the star of your outfit, so don’t let them distract the attention from your sneakers. Grab some pair of low-rider socks. This is the perfect solution for warm time and for making socks absolutely invisible.
3) Go for a solid color or classic look. You can turn your running shoes into comfy all-day shoes if you know how to pair them right. For classic look wear sneakers with simple jeans or pants in one color. If you choose black shoes, you can match them with a black bag.
4) Choose rainbow soles, different prints, metallics, statement laces or accent eyelets to turn heads. Don't be afraid to personalize and experiment with colors and textures. Create your own custom sneakers and be unique!
5) Pair your sport shoes with a short skirt or dress. The combination is trendy and girly.